Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Something Short

So here I am. Writing about stuff. Hmmm, yes stuff...Oh, yeah, Baseball! Mets lost today. I'm not upset though. They've got a great team this year. I hoping for great things. I didn't expect to be saying this three weeks ago, since I started getting an inkling of the steroid mess a couple years ago and the Mets were sucking, I decided to take a break from baseball. I also couldn't take the "Millionaire Baseball Guy" thing either. It seemed the game had lost it's soul. And this is a guy who loves the game. There is nothing about baseball that is boring to me. Every pitch of a game is fascinating to me. So it wasn't easy for me to just walk away, after the 2001 season.

But then two things happened. I was in Walmart about a month ago, and I saw Field of Dreams DVD pretty cheap so I bought it. It has always been one of my favorite movies but I hadn't seen it in, like, five or six years. As I was watching I just realized how much I missed baseball and it grieved me. Then I was flipping through the channels a couple weeks ago and stopped on the Mets game. They had just lost their first five games. I started watching, not expecting anything. Then I felt something, There was a certain sense I got from watching this new Mets team. They were having FUN! They were enjoying themselves. They won that game and went on to win the next six games in a row.

So whats the moral here. I dunno. Maybe I'm a self righteous hypocrite who just needed an excuse to desert his floundering team? I wouldn't put it past me. But I realized something. Maybe they are all jack up on roids but where else am I going to see the game played at this level. These guys are the best of the best. And anyway steroids doesn't make a team, and it certainly doesn't make team as whole enjoy playing the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home